Posted by Claiborne | Posted on 09-10-2012
Frank Erwin, author of the message below, is a good friend and an MTOA Board of Directors member. The Blackbeard and Queen Anne’s Revenge exhibit which is the subject of his text below is now housed in the main North Carolina Mariner’s Museum building, located on Front Street in Beaufort. It’s an easy step from the Beaufort Municipal Docks or either of the Taylor Creek dinghy docks to the Museum’s doorstep.
Beaufort has the NC Maritime Museum which has an exhibit of Blackbeard’s Queen Ann Revenge (found in the local Beaufort, NC inlet) http://www.ncmaritime.org/main/events.htm.
This exhibit highlights artifacts recovered from the shipwreck believed to be the former flagship of Blackbeard the pirate, the Queen Anne’s Revenge. A shipwreck salvage company, called Intersal, Inc., discovered the shipwreck in 1996 and gave the rights of excavation to the State of North Carolina. Artifacts are recovered from 25 feet of water by state underwater archaeologists with the aid of the museum, non-profit private companies, and educational institutions. After the artifacts are conserved by archaeologists, the NC Maritime Museum will house the conserved artifacts and prepare them for exhibit. A visit to Blackbeard and the QAR Project will provide more information.
Thanks so much for sharing this information with cruisers! We officially opened the “Blackbeard’s Queen Anne’s Revenge 1718″ exhibit in June 2011 in the Museum (located on Front Street along Taylors Creek.) Previously, some of the artifacts were kept at the Museum’s annex site in preparation for the exhibit. But, now, they are on public display in downtown Beaufort.
Please visit our website, http://www.ncmaritimemuseums.com for details.
North Carolina Maritime Museums