Hale Report – Lockwoods Folly/AICW Intersection, Problem Stretch, NC Statute Mile 321
Lockwoods Folly April 3, 2019
This has been a tough ICW trouble spot for the past couple of years. Dredging has just been completed and the channel has been re marked. As of today, it is a simple straight shot. Just stay between the markers for 12-14 feet at low tide. I can attest to the low tide depth, we came through at dead low this afternoon.
There is one spot where we saw 8.5 feet. That was about 300 feet west of R36. It is a shallow spot already identified on the USACE surveys from post hurricane Florence, 2018. At 8.5 feet MLLW it is not a significant issue. It may help to stay on the green side of the channel. But this shoal must be watched over the course of the next 6 months as it may build up and become an issue for the southbound cruisers next fall.
The USACE surveys have been a fabulous help transiting the ICW this spring. We have transited Ashepoo-Coosaw Cutoff, Dawho River, Watts Cut, Fenwick Cut, Isle of Palms and, Hell Gate, so far. Will hit Snows Cut, Carolina Beach, Mason Inlet, and Browns inlet in the next few days.
1. Our track on a NOAA chart. We were travelling with another boat who was using only Navionics (as were we also). They reported that Navionics was also fine in this section.
2. This is the overview of Lockwoods Folly showing our track of April 3, 2019 at 13:30. The USACE surveys at the west end of Lockwoods folly are no longer accurate due to the recently completed dredging. There was a survey boat working in this area today. Hope to see updated survey soon.
3. This is the western end of Lockwoods Folly. You can see our track at low tide. The USACE survey data is now wrong. Just follow the ATONs for 12-14 feet at low tide.
4. This is the eastern end of Lockwoods Folly. You can see our track at low tide. The USACE survey has been showing a shoal near R36 since the hurricanes last fall.
5. Close up of the east end showing the shoal.
— with Cristina M. Sison.
Click Here To View the Cruisers Net’s AICW Problem Stretches Listing For the AICW/Lockwoods Folly Inlet Intersection
Click Here To Open A Chart View Window, Zoomed To This AICW Problem Stretch
4 Facebook Likes, 4 Facebook Reactions