LNM: Safety Zone, Key West Paddle Classic, October 2, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Key West, FL
The 2021 Key West Paddle Classic will be held on October 2, 2021 on the waters surrounding Key West, FL.
FLORIDA – FLORIDA KEYS – KEY WEST: Key West Paddle Classic and Safety Zone
1. The 2021 Key West Paddle Classic will be held on October 2, 2021 on the waters surrounding Key West, FL. This event will consist of approximately 200 paddler boarders completing a 12 mile clockwise course starting along the southern shoreline beginning at Higgs Beach, transiting through the main harbor and Fleming Key Cut, around Dredgers Key, through Cow Key Channel and returning to the finish line at Higgs Beach.
2. A temporary moving safety zone has been established by the Captain of the Port (COTP) Key West, FL for this event. The safety zone encompasses all waters extending 100 yards to either side of the race participants and safety vessels; extending 50 yards in front of the lead safety vessel preceding the first race participants; and extending 50 yards behind the safety vessel trailing the last race participants. The safety zone will be enforced from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. on October 2, 2021.
3. During the enforcement period, no person or vessel may enter, transit through, anchor, or remain within the safety zone without permission from the COTP or his designated representative.
4. A succession of not less than 5 short whistle or horn blasts from a patrol vessel will be the signal for any non-event participating vessel to take immediate steps to avoid collision. Also, the display of a red distress flare from a patrol vessel will be a signal for any and all vessels, including event participants inside the regulated area, to stop immediately.
5. Mariners are advised to abide by all Navigation Rules and proceed with caution in the vicinity of the course and event participants.
6. For more information on this event please contact Sector Key West at (305)-292-8727