FEC Railroad Bridge Comment Period and Proposed Regulations
Unfortunately, only the FEC bridge on the New River is being addressed during this comment period. You can add comments until December 3rd at:
2. In § 117.313, revise paragraphs (c), (d) and (e) to read as follows:
(c) The following requirements apply to the Florida East Coast Railway Railroad Bridge across the New River, mile 2.5, at Fort Lauderdale, FL:
1. The bridge shall be constantly tended.
2. The bridge tender will utilize a VHF-FM radio to communicate on channels 9 and 16 and may be contacted by telephone at 305-889-5572.
3. Signs will be posted displaying VHF radio contact information and telephone numbers for the bridge tender and dispatch. A countdown clock giving notice of time remaining before bridge closure shall remain at the bridge site and must be visible for maritime traffic.
4. A bridge log will be maintained including, at a minimum, bridge opening and closing times.
5. When the draw is in the fully open position, green lights will be displayed to indicate that vessels may pass.
6. When a train approaches, the lights go to flashing red and a horn starts four blasts, pauses, and then continues four blasts then the draw lowers and locks.
7. After the train has cleared the bridge, the draw opens and the lights return to green.
8. The bridge shall not be closed more than 60 minutes combined for any 120 minute time period beginning at 12:01 a.m. each day.
9. The bridge shall remain open to maritime traffic when trains are not crossing.