2018 Tourism Luncheon and Tourism Hall of Fame Awards
Plan to join us at 11:30 am on Thursday, May 10, 2018 at the Charlotte Harbor Event and Conference Center in Punta Gorda for the 2018 Tourism Luncheon and Hall of Fame Awards.
The theme is Tourism and Cultural Heritage, and our speaker is Kevin Willmott, an acclaimed filmmaker.
The Peace River Botanical & Sculpture Gardens
The Gardens opened to the public on October 20, 2017!
Their mission is to provide a natural setting along the Peace River showcasing world-class sculptures and spectacular botanicals to inspire creativity throughout the community.
The Garden encompasses 27 acres; 10 acres will remain preserved and 11.5 acres are currently open. The preserved native habitats will provide a home to many aquatic and terrestrial species, best seen from the expansive boardwalks.
Exciting Local Live Music Events
Everclear, Smash Mouth, The Get Right Band, Nov. 11, 5:30 pm. Click for details.
Big Orange Music Festival featuring JJ Grey and Mofro, Nov. 18, 2:00–10:00 pm.Click for details.
I Love The 90’s Tour Featuring Salt N Pepa with Spinderella, Dec. 30, 6:00 pm. Click for Details.
Punta Gorda Airport Serves Community Before and After Hurricane Irma
Thanks to its post-Hurricane Charley construction and building improvements, Punta Gorda Airport served as base not only for Hurricane Irma shelter-seeking residents with special needs, but also for post-storm recovery and research efforts.
Pickleplex of Punta Gorda
The PicklePlex of Punta Gorda Inc. will provide outdoor and indoor facilities focusing on exercise and competitive sports including but not limited to Pickleball.
The PicklePlex broke ground Oct. 17, 2017.
Atlanta Braves Spring Training Coming to North Port
The Atlanta Braves recently broke ground on their new Spring Training facility in North Port, Florida.
Read Online • Read Full Article
Gearing up for The Divas® Run
So far, over 800 people have signed up to run like a divaon Dec. 10, 8:00 am, at Laishley Park, and projections put the total number at 1,700!
Click here to register as a volunteer.
There are many interesting and exciting volunteer oppor-
tunities coming up. Here are just a few:
• Information Specialist for the Visitor and Convention Bureau
• Divas® Half Marathon & 5K
Florida West Coast at Punta Gorda
• Gardening at the Peace River
Botanical & Sculpture Gardens
• Englewood Beach Waterfest
• Snowbird Baseball
Have fun, meet new people, support your community!
Click on any link to get started or sign up as a general volunteer here. Call the Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach Visitor & Convention Bureau at941.743.1900 with questions.
November 2017 Events
Paddlefest, Nov. 10–12
ciation Event, Nov. 11
FAME Music City 2017, Nov. 11–13
Pilgrim Paddle and Feast 2017, Nov. 12
Big Orange Music Festival, Nov. 18
Lighting of the Village, Nov. 18
Racefest, Nov. 18–19
Read Online • More Events
From the FRLA Southwest Florida Chapter
It’s Official! Charlotte County will have a new hospitality chapter of the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association (FRLA) called the “Gulf Island Coast Chapter.” This chapter will represent the counties of Charlotte and Glades.
Previously, Charlotte County was included in the Southwest Chapter of the FRLA which represented the counties of Collier, Lee, Glades and Charlotte. To better address the needs of its membership, the Southwest Chapter of the FRLA was dissolved to reduce the geographical area in an effort encourage participation and to create smaller chapter networks.
Sunday’s Sun-Sentinel (total circulation online and in print: over four million) featured Punta Gorda on the front page of the Travel & Life section, a feature written by Bonnie Gross, a freelance travel writer who participated in one of the VCB’s media trips several years ago.
Punta Gorda Restaurant Week
Punta Gorda Palate Pleasures is back, fromNovember 1–12. Many local restaurants are participating, presenting special menus and new dishes.
Visit the event page; theChamber’s Facebook page; andpuntagordachamber.com for a list of participating restaurants and more information.
Lighting of the Village, Nov. 18, 5:30 pm
Founders’ Day Week, Dec. 1–7,visit their Facebook page for full schedule of events
Christmas Light Canal Cruises with King Fisher Fleet, daily, Dec. 2–31, 6:00 pm,7:30 pm, 9:00 pm
Charlotte Symphony Orchestra Concert,Sounds of the Season, Dec. 3, 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm
39th Annual Charlotte County Chamber Christmas Parade, Dec. 9, noon
Charlotte Chorale presents It’s Christmas, Dec. 9, 4:00 pm
Trolley Christmas Light Tour, Dec. 12–21, call 941-639-3720 or send email
Got news? Let us know! We’d love to help spread the word.
• Dean’s South of the Border is celebrating 25 yearswith daily give-a-ways, 1992 rollback menu specials, and live music daily from 2:30–6:30 pm and into the evening. Mark your calendar now for a week long celebration! Visit the Facebook event page
• The Charlotte Chorale is Harbor Style Magazine’sHottest Performing Arts Group. Read More
• Congratulation to Capt. Leroy Bennett of Tap Out Charters, who recently won a gold medal in Nogi and a silver medal in Gi at the Siesta Key International Jiu-Jitsu championship.
• Heidemarie Burke of Photographic Images, LLC is featured in an H2U: Health To You Magazine feature: Defying Age Stereotypes. Click to read full article.
• Punta Gorda Airport announces new seasonal non-stop service through Allegiant to Omaha, Nebraska. Service begins Thursday, Dec. 14 with one-way fares as low as $41*. Read More
• Carmelo’s Italian Ristorante is expanding. Read Full Article.
• The Florida Native Plant Society-Mangrove Chapter invites the public to a field trip to Old Miakka Preserve, Nov. 26, 9:00 am. Read More
• Agnes and Dan Long of Smoke and Roses Sailing Charters are sailing the world.Check out their blog
• Sea Grape Artists Gallery presents the November 2017 Artists of the month, Beverly Yankwitt and Bob Rioux. Read More
• Click to explore the Charlotte Harbor Environmental Center’s November 2017 Programs.
• Bion Cantorum will be joined by two talented string players for their November 17 Concert, Sounds From Bion to Beyond. Read More
Show Us Your Charlotte
Your best photos of Charlotte County could win valuable coupons and gift certificates, and be featured in the VCB’s marketing materials and/or social media!
Visit Show Us Your Charlotte to submit your photos!
…to the Charlotte Players and the VCB’s own Jerry Jones for a great run of Second Time Around by Henry Denker.
The show was well-attended and even sold out a few times!
Great job to all!
|Located halfway between Tampa and Naples, on the Southwest Florida Gulf Coast, Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach is a charming collection of nine coastal communities surrounding the state’s second-largest harbor.|
Florida’s premier year-round eco-tourism destination, the area offers pristine unspoiled beauty. In 2014, Port Charlotte was named the “Top U.S. Best Value Destination” by trivago, the world’s largest online hotel search site, and the Charlotte Sports Park, spring training home of the Tampa Bay Rays, was voted “Best Spring Training Facility” by readers of USA TODAY.
A haven for outdoor enthusiasts, Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda/Englewood Beach has been named one of SAIL magazine’s “10 Greatest Places to Sail in the United States,” ranked by Golf Digest as “Third Best Place to Live and Play Golf in America,” and rated by MONEY magazine as one of the “Best Places to Live in the South.” Englewood was named second of the Top Ten emerging travel destinations in the U.S. by TripAdvisor.com.
The area is served by five airports: The Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) with commercial, private, and charter air service, Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ), Southwest Florida International Airport, Ft. Myers, (RSW), St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) and Tampa International Airport (TPA).
For more information on visiting Charlotte Harbor, visit our website or call941.743.1900.